Submissions for Novellas will be open
JANUARY 15-31, 2021
This upcoming submission period will be open from January 15th, 2021 at 12:01am EST through Saturday January 31st, 2021 at 11:59pm EST. Submission guidelines are posted below; please review them carefully. Any submission received outside an open submission period will not be read.
WHAT ARE NOVELLAS? Novellas are stand-alone works which are longer than short stories but shorter than novels. We are seeking original, previously unpublished stories of the highest quality between 20,000 and 40,000 words (word count of the body only). Our new line of novellas will be published in both ebook and in 5″ x 8″ print format.
Genre: We are accepting many different genres of fiction — from horror to humor, fantasy to crime drama — with the firm exceptions of children’s/MG or erotica/pornography.
Subjects we WILL NOT accept include (but are not limited to):
- Erotica or pornography
- Pedophilia or bestiality
- Graphic depictions of rape
- Graphic depictions of child abuse
- Sexual activity involving persons under the age of eighteen (18)
- Gratuitous or excessive violence or gore
- Racism, bigotry, or libel towards anyone
- Fan fiction or derivative works
- Please send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment. The subject line MUST READ: Novella Submission, “Title of Story”, Your Name
- In the body of the email, please provide a brief cover letter including your name, pen name (if you use one), the title of your story, the word count, and a short bio (third person preferred).
- Manuscripts should be sent as an email attachment. Please submit your work in .DOC, .DOCX, or .RTF format, 12 point font in Times New Roman or Arial, and double spaced. Please put your name, contact information, and the word count at the top of the first page. Please do not insert headers/page numbers into the body of your story; utilize header and footer feature, if desired (not required).
- DO NOT paste your story into the body of the email; this will result in an immediate rejection.
- Stories should be carefully edited and polished. Excessive typos and grammatical errors will be noted.
- No simultaneous submissions. Multiple submissions are allowed, but each story must be submitted separately.
- Submissions must be in English.
- No collections.
- No reprints.
Publication: Print on Demand and Kindle ebooks will be published via KDP (Amazon), and further ebook formats will be made available via Smashwords and their online distributors. Amazon’s Kindle Select will not be enabled to allow for multi-platform publication.
Response time: We will respond to all submissions within six to eight weeks of receipt. If you do not receive a response after ten weeks, please send your inquiry to email@example.com with “QUERY” and your story title in the subject line.
(If you do not receive acknowledgement of your submission within 48 hours, please check your junk mail folder. If you still have not received confirmation of receipt, please double check your subject line and your attachment. If you have any concerns, feel free to reach out to us via email or our Contact page.)
Compensation: Authors will receive one free print copy, digital ebook in three formats (.MOBI, .EPUB, and .PDF formats), and royalties of 60% of sales revenue (paid quarterly).
Rights and exclusivity: Authors must hold all rights to their work at the time of submission. Mannison Press will ask for worldwide first print and first digital rights, exclusive for twenty-four months. The Publisher then has the option to extend the contract for another twenty-four month term (with approval of the author). Once the contract expires, all rights revert to the author. Authors maintain full copyright to their work.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THIS WEBSITE AND ITS CONTENT ARE COPYRIGHT OF MANNISON PRESS, LLC © 2019. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.